Sunday, February 24, 2013

Nutella and Cara Cara Orange on Whole Wheat Toast, Sprinkled with Sea Salt


At times, I am completely floored by the differences between me and the offspring.  Like at the park, watching him try to scale baby-sized boulders, so carefree and surefooted.  Each rock is just a mountain waiting for a Max to come and climb.

Me?  I'm a klutz.  I'm awkward and run into things and do not watch where I'm going or what is in front of me.  So there is no carefree surefootedness here.  Just thoughts of please don't fall, please don't fall please don't fall.  And then I fall. Or run into the corner of something, resulting in yet another giant bruise. Or bang an elbow in a doorway.  My body finds a myriad of ways to hurt itself.

Then there is our differing outlook on bugs.  One day, Max and I were in his room, and he pointed at the wall, filled with glee and joy.  And there it was.  A giant spider.  I panicked on the inside.  But I put on a steely face and went after the spider with a shoe from Seth's closet.  My attempt to vanquish the 8-legged arachnid was futile and it gracefully sidestepped my attacks.  And each attempt to get "Gigantic Spider" resulted in fearful crying by Max.  He apparently wanted the spider to stay alive.  Like a pet.  A pet spider.

In fact, he was so smitten by the spider, he asked for more bugs.  When it was explained to him that no, I would not actually be bringing him more bugs to play with, he marched right to the computer to do his version of "research" - looking at bugs and spiders online.  I took his distraction as an opportunity to sneakily creep up to his room and spray "Gigantic Spider" with bug spray.

But other times, our familial connection is much more visible.  Much more visceral.

Sometimes that connection comes in a small tube. Chapstick, actually.  My obsession has been passed on to him.  We will never know if this is nature or nurture at play.  He carries around a container in his coat pocket.  And he has his own container of my cast-offs, smelling and playing with each tube lovingly.  They have found themselves a good home with him.

And we also share a love of citrus and chocolate.  When I saw this in Cooking Light, I was so instantly smitten - so easy, so creative, and so delicious.  I found myself getting Max and myself ready to head out the door, literally running  (okay, more like galloping with a stroller) to get the stuff (chapsticks, naturally in both of our coat pockets).  And once these were made, both of us happily munched, together united in a love of chapstick and a love for citrus and chocolate.  Our differences in bug control and risk taking being pushed aside for the moment.

Ingredients
slice of a crusty whole wheat french bread, toasted
1 tablespoon Nutella
Cara Cara orange, segmented
pinch of fleur de sel

Instructions
This is so ridiculously easy.  Just take your toasted bread and spread Nutella on it.  Sprinkle with citrus segments and a pinch of fleur de sel.  Then chow down.

23 comments:

  1. ahahahahaaa omg so so cute! I'm dying over the spider story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect breakfast ain't it! Nutella would never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spider story is hilarious, though I'd probably ran away seeing it and you can't go wrong with nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so brave! I usually throw things at spiders and run- without looking at where I'm aiming...not a great technique.

    I'm with you on the citrus though! (And Nutella!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate spiders too, *cringe* but I love his enthusiasm and wanting more pet bugs ;) so cute. I think you deserve a huge smear of Nutella for going after that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww. You guys are so cute. I love the shared chapstick obsession. Cara Caras are the best. Just bought a whole bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little cousin AJ did the same thing with a stink bug. "But what if he's our friend?" Boys and their bugs.

    I share your love of citrus and chocolate. This sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute my friend :)
    And you are so brave you deserve this Nutella treat :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd fall into your son Max's category - sort of. I can't kill bugs, at most I'll put them out the window. I don't think I'll be fully a grown up though :)
    The toasts sound delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want this for my breakfast! Am I asking for too much?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so funny how different parents can be from their children...me and my mom are not alike AT ALL in many ways...but we both do love nutella. And would adore this for breakfast. Or lunch. Or a midday snack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boys and their obsession with bugs; I'll never get it. This toast looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Nutella....this is so easy to make. Yummy:)

    Nina
    http://thefoodielovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this reflection...and of course, I loved this snack. Nutella and oranges on warm toast sounds just about heavenly right now. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I saw my sons making lay ups on the basketball court, I had a hard time they were related to me! Thank goodness none of my 3 wanted pet bugs...LOL. But I'm glad, like you, we have some food favorites in common. Your toasts look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning from your fellow klutz--wow, that is an awesome-looking snack or light breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh a perfect breakfast to wake up to!!Love Nutella!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the spider story!!! Last year I found a giant one in my bag coming home from Corse and it wasn't so funny...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of adding fresh oranges onto the Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely bug story! This looks great, chocolate and orange are great together and chocolate and salt are so good I can imagine this is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i see the inspiration, but i am totally blown away ;) need to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...