Thursday, October 17, 2013

Persimmon and Grapefruit Yogurt Parfaits with Gingersnap and Pecan Crumbles


We look forward to, anticipate, build up some upcoming experiences.  Daydreaming about what it will be like. Crystal clear pictures of the amazingness form in our heads.

Which, are then, of course, subsequently crushed.  Shattered.  Destroyed when reality sets in.

I was terribly excited to go to the East Coast.  To visit friends and family.  But mostly to experience the fall weather that they supposedly have out there.  Visions of sweater wearing while galloping through piles of fallen leaves danced in my head.  Hay rides with toasty plaid blanket after blanket piled on top of me.  Warm cinnamon-spiced apple cider consumed while plucking bushels of apples right from trees.  Tromps through pumpkin patches with my tall boots.  It would be a perfect autumn week.  A super cliched autumn week.

Until I arrived in Pennsylvania and became aware that the weather was hot.  Like hot.  Like maybe I hadn't actually left the state of California hot.  Like wow, I'm glad I packed sandals hot.  Like take the small child to the park in the morning and want to go back home within 5 minutes because the sun is so hot.  Clearly, this wasn't what I had been hoping for.

Sometimes, though, life hands us exactly what we had been envisioning.  I wanted to stick a spoon into something creamy, something sweet, something fruity, something with a little bit of zing to it.  This parfait has all of that.  Persimmons and grapefruits mixed together.  Creamy Greek yogurt flavored with vanilla and orange.  Topped with crushed gingersnaps and chopped toasted pecans.  Each spoonful so satisfying, so unique with its own proportion of fruit to yogurt to gingersnap topping, that I would immediately look forward to the next.  And this time, I wasn't disappointed.

Need more information about persimmons, a most wonderful fruit?  Here is a useful article from Cooking Light!

Ingredients
1 cup chopped persimmon
1/2 cup segmented grapefruit
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup crushed gingersnaps
2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans

Instructions
In a small bowl, gently toss the persimmon and grapefruit.  In another bowl, stir Greek yogurt, vanilla, honey, orange juice, and orange zest.  In another bowl, mix the finely chopped pecans and crushed gingersnaps.

To serve, layer the fruit mixture and then the yogurt mixture, then top with the gingersnap mixture.

9 comments:

  1. I love persimmon! This is a fun and delicious parfait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sorry about that. We're not ready to give up on summer on the East Coast. But that just means more time to enjoy cool, refreshing treats like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uups, sometimes reality differs from our imagination but you made it all up with this delightful, summery parfait.
    Perfect to enjoy with warm weather and a very creative recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! I still haven't dusted off my boots for fall either. Dang weather. I was just looking at the stack of persimmons at the grocery store wondering what the heck to do with them, this sounds perfect. Love the gingersnaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, the persimmon sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! It sounds heavenly.. mMMMMMmmmm.. must definitely give this a try. ♥ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mitten state had a warm spell last week - I was happy! But I completely understand the need for to feel cosy about autumn. (I still want to move to California!) :D

    Persimmon and I really need to get to know each other, this yogurt looks amazing!

    P.S. Thanks for the Pins & FB love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's chilly out here in the east now!! C'mon back :) Your parfaits sound lovely! A local blogger friend just mentioned that she has persimmons picked from her yard. I need to hit her up for some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenn! The weather is definitely getting cooler here in Pennsylvania but we were expecting it... This parfait looks and sounds amazing and I would really enjoy it for breakfast right now and for dessert later :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...