Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chicken Liver Pate with Sage


Pate is an appetizer that broods.  You can totally tell.  It is all dark and mysterious looking, and its ingredients are not readily apparent. If it could talk, it would most definitely talk about things that makes us question or search for answers to the big existential questions – why are we here, what is this all for, etc etc.  It is a bit of a challenging appetizer.  It isn’t as easily loved as something like guacamole for example.  It may take some time for you to fall for its charms.  But eventually you do.  After all, you can’t not fall for it.  But just because you accept and adore something for what it is, it doesn’t mean that you can’t make it more fun.  To give the pate a bit of lightness and summer freshness to balance out its dark and gloomy demeanor, we topped the pate with chopped strawberries and fresh, minced basil.  We love spreading this over crackers and bread.

Ingredients 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¾ lb chicken livers
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons minced sage
2 tablespoons port
1 tablespoon mascarpone
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped strawberries, for serving
minced fresh basil, for serving

Instructions
Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add shallot, garlic cloves and sage.  Once the shallots are soft, add the chicken livers.  Cook the chicken livers until they are cooked through, about 10 minutes.  Add port.  Reduce then take off heat.  Stir in mascarpone.  Once that has melted into the mixture, puree with immersion blender or food processor.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with chopped strawberries and basil.

35 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, it has been forever since I've had pate. My cousin used to make it for me when I was younger.

    Thank you SO much for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, pâté does brood. :D It's been years since I last had any, but maybe I'll have to give it another go when I'm feeling philosophical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveee pates...it has such a beautiful and fatty taste that goes so well with some bread. Time to make my own instead of ordering expensive ones at restaurants :D Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I've had pate...your version looks great! Love the strawberries, mascarpone, and basil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had pate, but I would love to try some. Where do live ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have tried so hard to get accustomed to the taste of chicken liver but i have just not been able to. everyone i know loves it and raves about it... i wish i could i enjoy it more. but, i love your presentation and your photograph is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm Mascarpone! I would definitely be willing to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pate scares me but maybe if you fed it to me I'd eat it :P This certainly looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are totally brave in my book! I've never really had pate before, but I like the idea of the savory with strawberries, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your addition of mascarpone into your pate for the extra creaminess and taste. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your combination of ingredients! Mmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great first line! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful looking pate my friend - beats the market ones no doubt :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great combination of flavours! I am amazed that you've topped it with strawberries! I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been a big pate fan, but I'm certainly impressed that you made it yourself! I'm not sure I could ever stomach prepping chicken livers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good idea to contrast the colors with the strawberries!I've never tried liver pate, but would love to some day :)Lovely flavors going in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds great. I've not thought of serving it with strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool! You don't see too many recipes like this. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds amazing!!!I love the garnish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would you believe I've never made pate? We're having a Bastille Day dinner on Saturday, though, so that could change. This looks fabulous and doable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Baby, you're singin' my song with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't eat pate very often but this one looks particularly tasty and appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a little something fruity with a pate. The strawberries and basil sound great. And, I need to make it at home one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want to like chicken livers, but I just haven't been able to get into them. Perhaps this pate is just the thing I need to change my mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try pate! I felt the same way but chicken liver pate is SO GOOD. Like meaty butter.

      Delete
  25. Dear Jenn, I love chicken livers with all of its charm. The addition of mascarpone and strawberries is delicious and fun.
    This is a delicious appetizer that should be reintroduced for all of its glory. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so inspired. I have a ton of sage and have been trying to decide what to make. LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marmalade scares you? Liver scares me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dark and mysterious looking Hahhaa.. Oh..Liver and strawberry.... Erm... This is a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I love pate...and I LOVE your description :) So pretty with the strawberry and basil topping!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love chicken liver pate! In our house though, we do it Jewish style, so I've never had it like this but it looks really good and I'm sure just as delicious! I seriously can eat this by the spoonful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My mom used to make me eat chicken livers (but in grilled skewers called Yakitori) because it's supposed to help women or something like that (forgot the reason). But.... I had a hard time and I just eat one and that was it. On the other hand, this is my husband's favorite! Thanks for sharing the recipe - sending this link for him. :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never been a fan of pate but this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...