Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mango Strawberry Black Bean Wraps


So I’m pretty new to the whole bean/legume thing.  Except for green beans, which are a legume, I think.  The majority of the legume family always weirds me out a bit, though.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe it’s because I associate them with being chalky.  I’m totally okay though with pureeing them and turning them into a dip, of course.  But one day I wanted something different for lunch.  I ran to the market near us, picked up some things and thought, maybe this won’t be too bad all together.  And while I’m at it, I’ll try out this whole big world of food to which I’ve previously turned a blind eye.  It turned out that I liked it.  It doesn’t mean I’m a total convert to this branch of the food family.  I think it would take decades before I would ever come around totally.  But I’ve stuck a toe in the water.  And it was nice. 

Ingredients
½ teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
kosher salt, to taste
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 mango, diced
3 strawberries, chopped
½ teaspoon lime zest
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 avocado, pitted and sliced then drizzled with lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, for serving
2 scallions, chopped, for serving
flour tortillas

Instructions
In a small bowl, combine coriander, cinnamon, cumin, and ginger.  Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat then add the black beans.  Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the beans and stir.  Add the mango, strawberries, lime zest, and lime juice. Once everything has been warmed and mixed together, take off heat. Adjust salt to taste.  Then assemble wrap using the black bean mixture, avocado, cilantro, and scallions in the tortilla.

29 comments:

  1. Healthy and delicious...this is simply right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will convert you!!! This recipe is awesome - I particularly like the inclusion of both mango and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, we'll see about that...however, you have seem to have successfully converted me to flax seeds, so i guess there is hope!

      Delete
  3. I love the mango here -- really makes this a something special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. Love all the ingredients in this recipe, will have to get some mango and give it go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, cinnamon, ginger, and black beans! That sounds like some kind of wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny I always considered green beans a vegetable, LOL, but technically they are a legume. I am glad to hear you are taking some baby steps into this whole new world of legumes. They really are healthy, fibrous and loaded with protein. Great recipe, it sounds tasty and I love the mango in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wraps are my perfect summer meal, I love mangoes with black beans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to feel the same way - now I love them! Though I never had them with fruit! Very creative and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe I didn't really grow up eating beans as a savoury item although we ate them as a sweet item (which is possibly even stranger!). But now I love eating them. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm rooting for the beans! You'll eventually like them, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a unique combo, I would've never thought to bring all of this together but somehow, I bet it works and I'm anxious to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I see bean recipe, I feel like I want to jump in and grab it. My kids and husband are not into bean (WHY!!!) so I rarely cook. These wraps would totally make me happy... nutritious and delicious at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa. This looks fabulous.
    I do believe my mouth is watering just by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great idea. Those must be delicious!

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never paired beans with fruit before. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like such an interesting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally dig legumes, and I think these wraps are a great introductory step. The salsa looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mango, strawberries and beans? Somthing I would like to try :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love black beans. I have never had them with mango and strawberries, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love beans now but it did take me a LONG time to get into them. You'll get there! I love the sound of this wrap filling. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are many beans I'm not too fond of, but black beans are wonderful! Great wraps~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love beans and they are staple in my house! It sounds delicious....I really like the addition of cumin and coriander!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH glorious beans, I love them. tasty way to begin!! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Easy peasy and healthy! This one is right up my alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is so different. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely recipe we eat loads of legumes hubby is Indian

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never ate black beans until about a year ago, and now my black bean quesadillas are one of my favorite things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow I would never have thought of putting mango and strawberries together with black beans. :D Sounds refreshing and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...