Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sunshine Smoothie


You know when you convince yourself that you can indeed carry that very large pile of laundry up the stairs in one trip without the laundry basket?  Because the laundry basket has been lost to the cause of either being a bed for a cat or to a toddler to commandeer?  And so you begin the trek up, full of confidence.  And then a sock slips out.  And then you pick it up.  And then two more shirts drop. This slapstick like scenario continues.  Then, finally, for 4 amazing stairs, you actually do keep it all together.  And you feel all smug, because you totally did indeed succeed in making it up the stairs with the ridiculous sized load in one trip!

Trying to make this smoothie was a similar production.   This smoothie is the one that almost didn't happen.  Oranges were obtained, then lost to a little guy with a fickle appetite.  All the oranges.  Ginger was assumed to be sitting peacefully in the crisper drawer, hanging out with carrots and celery.  But it wasn't.  I had never picked it up.  Then ginger and oranges were all ready to go, but we repeated the ginger episode with the pineapple.  Finally, luckily, all these things came together.  I felt all smug, having finally succeeded in corralling all the necessary ingredients together, and making a smoothie that should have only taken 10 minutes to begin with.

Ingredients 
2/3 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup buttermilk
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange
1 banana
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
Place everything in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender (or place in a blender and blend).  Serve over crushed ice if desired.

28 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshing! I'm glad the stars finally aligned long enough for you to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yum, I love smoothies with pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This smoothie looks great! I love anything with pineapple and oranges in it.

    PS: Your carrying the laundry up the stairs story reminds me of trying to fold the laundry with 2 dogs in the house (they are constantly stealing socks or unfolding what I've just folded). Sometimes the "easy" things just aren't that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect way to hold onto summer sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I know exactly what you're talking about-except with me it's often recycling or groceries that this happens with :P

    and this smoothie looks happy and summery and makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jenn, this sounds like a refreshing and delicious smoothie...I can always go for one of these spring, summer, fall or winter! Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha!! What a great description. I can completely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha totally been there. This smoothie sounds delicious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect wayto wake up in the morning and just get going :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I've totally had days like that! Sounds worth the trouble, though. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! I would gladly wake up to this! Looks delicious! Slurp...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the story of my life. What a yummy smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww. I feel you with the laundry. My dog just wants to steal all the clothes and fling them around the house. This smoothie looks yummy. Ginger is the most forgotten ingredient in my household. I always think I have it and never actually do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, you have defeated the smoothie. Good, too, because I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trust me, we've all been there :)
    Love the use of ginger and buttermilk in your smoothie!Have to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you're talking about!!!
    the smoothie looks delicious, like the ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh this sounds like a fabulous combo of flavors! I've never put buttermilk in a smoothie before. That plus Greek yogurt must give it a very decadent feel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops, called you the wrong name :/ Love this combination of flavors..definitely waiting for all the stars to align to enjoy these fantastic smoothies~

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a strange mix of residual summer heat + brand new Autumn air whirling about and I imagine that this smoothie would tie it allll together =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has become cloudy here and can rain anytime. Send me some sunshine. Love all the flavors going in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Buttermilk in a smoothie? This must be so rich!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum!! I'm so glad that this smoothie came together. It sounds amazing and I'm just at the point of needing a new one for my rotation :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny when things don't come together like that - you think you have stuff/or have stuff planned and something thwarts you. This smoothie definitely reminds me of sunshine and I like the ginger accent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooooh, I love that you added buttermilk to this smoothie. I bet it gave it an amazing tang. Love the combo of flavors. Yum!Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really does sound like sunshine in a cup! Really refreshing sounding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a really delicious smoothies! Your story is very similar to mine. :) I need to keep this recipe because I love having buttermilk recipes around for the time we have buttermilk in our fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...