Sunday, September 30, 2012

Melt In Your Mouth, Grilled Teriyaki Wagyu Beef Sliders


This story will break your heart.  Shatter it.  Into millions of pieces.  I'm warning you.  I should probably just start penning a book called "Jenn's Super Sad Story."  Seth has been working nights and weekends (in addition to regular daytime hours). For months.  Then one glorious sunny Saturday, he decided to take a break and not go in for the day, just spend the day at home.  Even though I was feeling sluggish from not sleeping well and had a weird feeling in my throat, I was going to make the most of the day.  So we decided to do something low-key but fun - like grill!  We figured out what to grill, went out for lunch and afterwards obtained the necessary ingredients for our dinner.  And once all that happened, I realized I was sick.  Sore throat, headache, all that fun stuff.  So I helped make these sliders, but totally couldn't enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed. Instead I savored some ice cream.  Since that never fails an ailing throat.  So that is the super sad story about how I was sick on the one day Seth was home and couldn't enjoy these sliders and "had" to eat ice cream instead.  I warned you that it would tug on your heartstrings in a profound way.  That said, Seth gave me some of this meat, fresh off the grill, and I can say it was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  He insists they are the best sliders he's ever had, and still fresh in his mind a week later.  He even liked the pineapple on them!  And he hates pineapple!

Ingredients
2/3 cup mirin
1 cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
¼ cup brown sugar
7 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
1 inch strip of orange peel

3/4 pound thinly sliced waygu beef
butter lettuce
Japanese cucumber, sliced
radish sprouts
Maui sweet onion, halved then sliced thinly
fresh pineapple slices, cored
scallions, chopped
jalapeno slices
Sriracha
mini kaiser rolls

Instructions
To make the teriyaki sauce:  Place the mirin in a medium pot and boil over high heat.  Reduce to medium low and add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, and orange peel.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Refrigerate to cool.

Once the teriyaki sauce has cooled, marinate the beef.  Place the beef in a resealable bag and cover with the sauce.  Let it marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator.

Preheat grill to high (roughly 400°).  Lay down grill-proof griddle and allow 3-4 minutes to preheat.  Working in batches, as necessary, place marinated beef on griddle and flatten out.  After 30 seconds to a minute, flip the meat and let cook for another 30 seconds to a minute before removing.  Both sides should be browned and only slightly charred.

Brush onion slices, pineapple slices, and cut sides of rolls with canola oil.  Place canola oil in a small bowl.  Using a paper towel or cloth, dip in canola oil and rub over hot grill grates to prevent sticking.  Grill the onions and pineapple on high heat until they have a light char on either side.  Place the rolls, cut side down, on the grates, and remove when lightly toasted.

To assemble the sliders:  Place a lettuce leaf on bottom slice of the bun.  Then layer cucumber slices, grilled pineapple, meat, grilled onions, jalapeno slices, scallions, radish sprouts, and top with a drizzle of Sriracha.

42 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you couldn't enjoy these sliders...that tragic. But who could pass on such a perfect excuse to enjoy ice cream?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pity that you couldn't have these gorgeous sliders. They look lipsmackingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh these look so freaking cute. I don't eat beef but I'd totally make it with salmon instead because it sounds incredibly tasty. I hope you're doing better! If not, self-medicate with more ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sliders mean I can eat more than one, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first picture is GORGEOUS! My mouth is watering just look at these amazing sliders. Hope you feel better soon hun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, you poor thing! I hope at least you got to sample some leftovers when your throat felt better. These look amazing, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you completed your craving :)
    Feel better!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better soon! These look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're feeling better! I certainly feel for you, these sliders look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. get well soon!

    i love the addition of the pineapple to these sliders!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you poor, poor thing! And near the end of grilling season too. *sniffle* I think there's something in my eye...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome recipe! I feel so bad you couldn't enjoy them. I love the addition of pineapple, great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why are slider so much fun? I mean other than these great ingredients. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogger no longer recognizes my ID. GREG is Sippity Sup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tis is soo good. It look good, it sounds good, I bet it tastes GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tears are streaming down my face. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect timing for these grilled teriyaki sliders. I made buns today and can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Teriyaki and can totally imagine how delicious it must have tasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leave it to murphy's law to strike again! They do look majorly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how sad, at least you had ice cream though! These sound absolutelystupendouslyamazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your pictures are so perfect - teach me your ways! haha! This looks so delicious..I am now officially hungry

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can completely see why these are melt in your mouth--YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow - those are some giant sliders! Great classic pairing of teriyaki and pineapple and the beef really does take it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been dying to make a good burger -- this is it! Looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness, these sliders look like pure heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I love all the combination of flavors and textures here! That is wonderful burger!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So not fair! Illness hits at exactly the wrong times. Clearly, you'll have to make these again. The teriyaki sounds so good, and the sriracha sauce on top is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy them! My mouth is watering just looking at them! I like ice cream when I'm sick too. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry you couldn't enjoy that day and these amazing burgers... but the ice cream is not so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no! I would be very sad if I didn't get to enjoy these delicious sliders! They look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boo! That totally stinks that you had to eat ice cream instead of these meaty beauties. They look amazing. Too bad I live all the way over on the east coast, or I would have been Jenn for the day (well, I am Jenn, but you, Jenn). Now I'm on the hunt for waygu beef.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Usually I love to eat ice cream but when I HAVE to eat ice cream that's a whole different story. Hope Jenn is better and Seth makes more sliders to nosh on.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks so good I can almost smell and taste it through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These sliders are definitely mouth watering. I am drooling, and if I could only reach towards these babies, I would ;). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lately I've been addicted to the teriyaki beef + pineapple burger at Habit Burger. It's so good. I didn't think about making it at home but now after seeing your photos, why not! Your burgers look 100x better than one I like at Habit!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love all the combination of flavors that you used and this tasty grilled teriyaki wagyu beef sliders . I never eat this burger that have combination of different flavor with wagyu beef.

    ReplyDelete
  37. test for the best of the delicious dishes of beef lovers you can follow us at :-There are many beef lovers available all around the market and it is something that is known for the popularity and different unique recipes. The japanese wagyu cattle is something that has grown in demand in the past few years drawing the attention of all foodies around the world. With wagyu steak you can sit back at home and order the best of items delivered.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...