Thursday, October 11, 2012

Brown Butter Blondies with Chocolate Maple Glaze


Ugh I hate packing.  I think I somehow manage to both overpack and underpack at the same time.  It is a gift.  I was looking for the new toothbrush holders that had been picked up a few days ago, and I knew I saw them the day before.  I had looked right at them in their bag.  Somehow, during those hours, they got lost.  I don't understand how that happens! Am I getting old and senile?  Did I just imagine toothbrush holders?  Was the whole act of going to the drugstore and placing said holders in my basket, checking out, and then coming home with them just an elaborate fantasy in my head?  Is it a trick being played by some sort of supreme being?  Did the cats take off with the package and wrap yarn around it?  Did Max claim it for his own, burying it under a forgotten pile of toys?  Did it disappear through a wormhole into an alternate dimension?  I HAVE NO IDEA! It is confusing.  I was so annoyed about this situation.  I know it really isn't a big deal in the scheme of life, but it doesn't take away from how frustrating it feels at the moment.  So I tried to let it go (okay, lets face it, I'm not really letting it go) and accept the fact that the toothbrush holders have found a new home and would not be accompanying us on our trip.  Then I went to the kitchen and made these.  Eating these made me feel better.

Ingredients
For the blondies:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup toasted walnuts, ground
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips

For the glaze:
1/4 cup chocolate chips
pinch salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon half and half

Instructions
Heat oven to 350.  Grease an 8x8 baking pan.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and ground walnuts.  In a medium skillet, melt the butter.  Keep and eye on the butter, it will become foamy and brown specks will be at the bottom of the pan, and it will have a wonderful nutty fragrance.  Take off heat and stir in brown sugar and maple syrup.  Let the mixture cool.  Once cool, whisk in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.  Stir in flour mixture and then the chocolate chips.  Bake for about 25 minutes, until  the top is golden brown and it has cooked all the way through.  Let cool.  To make the glaze, place the chocolate chips, salt, maple syrup, and half and half in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to a minute (you want everything to be nice and melted together).  Stir, then use a pastry brush to glaze the blondies.

Adapted from the blondies recipe in Joy of Cooking  

34 comments:

  1. oh no you didn't!! These are amaaaaazeballs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate packing too...but goodness, I love blondies. Especially blondies with brown butter. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They’re both totally gorgeous and mouth wateringly looking..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a glazed blondie before - it looks delicious! bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny, I know exactly what you mean about the toothbrush holder situation. Good job you could make these to improve things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! So you never found them? I've had that happen before and it is very frustrating! These blondies however look like the perfect antidote! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuff like that drives me crazy!!! You should eat these to make you feel better! These look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking and baking (and eating) de-stresses my mind and helps me find stuff I lost. :) When we came back from our vacation in Maine I couldn't find my two favorite pair of earrings and it drove me insane. But, they've since been found. Brain clutter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful treat! I love brown butter and blondies.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you find your toothbrush holders :P

    These blondies look like...ridiculously good. Mhmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where are we going? Also mmm. . blondies. I like a good blondie and these look like ridiculously good blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot pack to save my life. Organisation of suitcases is beyond me. :) These look like perfection. They remind me of something from Tim Hortons (but so much classier, of course) what with the amazingness of both maple syrup and chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of these brown butter blondies. They look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these blondies, they look so good!!! found your toothbrush holder?!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i used to travel alot with my family while growing up and i still hate packing. lol.

    these blondies look so yummy and surely beat nasty airplane food... make sure to sneak some of these into your purse...heheh

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, I have that same gift when packing. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. brown butter anything gets my vote, these blondies look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm very excited about the thought of brown butter and maple being in the same place at the same time. Must have one of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, definitely frustrating! Bet these beauties made it better though -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I misplace things at least once a day and just have to have faith that someday I'll find them again. Just not in the near future. :P Baking is the perfect stress reliever in such times though...and these bars sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Erm, this morning I misplaced my glass of water! Still hasn't turned up! These look absolutely, positively moreish! A dozen of them and your fall coffee, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delicious treat! I hate packing and unpacking :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seriously, this should be illegal. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maple chocolate glaze!? mmm! Yes please! Sounds awesome :) Love blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely blondies! Would surely put a smile on anyone's face!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These sound sooooo amazing. I love the combination of browned butter and maple. I'm totally bookmarking this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eating always makes me feel better. I'm the ultimate comfort food snacker. These brown butter blondies are calling my name. I've been obsessed with brown butter lately, so I'm going to need these in my life. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these look so good and all the best for moving

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha! sounds like me packing for my trip this weekend :) Chocolate maple glaze is genius on these! Blondies are one of my serious weaknesses.. will be needing to try these asap, these would make anyone feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cooking, especially baking just relaxes me in that kind of situation. You did it right by creating a wonderful brownie rather than stressing yourself finding that brush holder.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Some people cannot eat when they are under stress, but I am completely opposite and I like to eat when I'm frustrated and get stuck... I might even fish this whole thing if I start baking. ;) These blondies look really good, especially with chocolate + maple on top! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look so good and I'm sure my kids would go crazy for them :) I'm sure you felt a lot better after having these :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look so good and I'm sure my kids would go crazy for them :) I'm sure you felt a lot better after having these :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. These look amazing! I love the brown butter and chocolate maple glaze!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...