Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow)


They say that if you love something, set it free.  If it comes back it is meant to be.  I hate pithy statements like this.  I really did love it and very very very reluctantly let it go.  Well, more like it was forcefully taken from my hands.  I made this candy mix.  A whole glorious batch of ridiculous festive candy in celebration of Halloween.  So garish and bright and delicious.  And placed it into a gigantic container.  And I loved it. Oh how I loved it.  I had no intention of setting it free.  And then Seth told me that it was an absurd amount of candy for one toddler and his parents.  So he was taking it into his office to share.  I hate sharing.  And obviously my container of candy does not have motor skills, so it can't find its way back to me.  But I will contend that it was meant to be.  As I fully intend to make another batch over the weekend.  Maybe, you know, just half a batch. And Seth will not be prying this one away from me.

adapted from bettycrocker.com

Ingredients
9 cups Rice Chex
2/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Nutella
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon vanilla salt (see this post for details)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
a bunch of whatever Halloween candy floats your boat
  I used:
  1 bag of Brach's candy corn
  1 movie theater sized box of Reese's pieces
  ~ 10 ounces of pretzel M&Ms
  ~ 10 ounces of peanut M&Ms

Instructions
In a large bowl, pour in the Chex.  In a medium glass bowl, place butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter.  Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.  You want the mixture to be melted together.  Stir in vanilla.  Sprinkle vanilla salt over the Chex, then pour the Nutella mixture over the cereal.  Get the cereal as evenly coated as possible, then sprinkle with the powdered sugar.  Place the mixture on waxed paper to dry.  In a medium bowl, mix together all the Halloween candy you are using.  Mix with the cereal mixture once it has dried.  Place in an airtight container.


26 comments:

  1. How dare Seth take something as delicious as this away from you! Bad hubby, bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, aww. Seth is wrong. You can never have too much Halloween candy snack mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moment when you realized the tasty snack had left must have been traumatic. Condolences. :D Luckily this looks easy enough to whip up on a whim. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a favorite of my baby nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious! You hang tight to your puppy chow mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something that looks this gorgeous, there's no way I'd want to part with it either! Unless if it's into my own stomach. ;) Love the colours here and must have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Perfect for Halloween! And I think you deserve at least a half batch just to call your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!! If this was my candy I would not to share either. I would save it all for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just hide the next batch from him haha (not that I've ever hid goodies from my husband) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This mix has my heart my friend :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been way too long since I've Puppy Chow -- need to fix that and this Halloween version looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen anything like this before, it sounds really interesting! As long as you make enough to go round I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Share? But this looks so delicious. And it's Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muddy buddies are already addictive enough...but with all this Halloween infusion...they should probably be a controlled substance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm... I am going to have to think about this one. XOGREG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious snack!Love all those colors....Great Halloween treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great snack idea Jenn!!Love that you've used Nutella here too :) Looks addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooo! This looks so super yummy!!!! :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This mix is gorgeous and your pictures, Seth, are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd actually never had puppy chow until a few months ago when a coworker brought it in, mind = blown that stuff is delicious! Love the Halloween tie-in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not the sharing type. I don't like to do it. No, you can't have a bite, handful, or smidgen of my food. Jennie doesn't share. I know that sounds mean, but it's just how I roll. I feel for you, Jenn, because this looks delicious. Make more and hide it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...