Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Pretzel Milkshake


So there's this episode of the West Wing, bear with me... Yes we're about ten years late to game on this show. Anyways, Josh and some other White House staffers take the president's under-21 daughter as well as the president's young personal aide out for a drink.  To a bar.  When the president finds out, he tells Josh that when Josh told him he was taking them for a drink, he thought he was taking them out for some malteds.  Josh asks him, what do you think this is, a production of Our Town?

Though I am of the age for which a bar should be seen as a dispenser of sweet nectar, a wonderful adult refuge, I would be more excited to be taken out for a malted.  I've never had one!  But it sounds fabulous!  Though I may not have been shown the wonders of a malted as of yet, I do become deliriously excited about going out for milkshakes.  I've been assuming malteds are a relative of a milkshake, perhaps I am way off base here?

Anyways, a few months ago, we visited the East Coast, and my dad thought he was taking us out for a cheesesteak at this awesome, personality-filled diner near his work, called Bobby-O's.  Now, don't get the wrong idea, the cheesesteaks were great, super delicious!

But it was their extensive milkshake menu that was the total highlight. Column after column of tantalizing combinations - chocolate and caramel, vanilla cherry, etc, etc.  We chose a Milky Way one, because why not?  It was wonderful.  One of the best I have had!

A few days later, we made my dad take us there again.  For milkshakes.  And for cheesesteaks.  But really, for milkshakes.  This time we got a vanilla pretzel one.  It sounds so simple - vanilla and pretzel - but it's one of those combinations...  They come together and are this vanilla-pretzel-filled, sweet and salty, drinkable confection that gets into your head like an earworm.

Like the bars of a song you can't scrub away from your brain, this milkshake will stay there, forever dangling its exquisite ambrosial liquid in front of your face until you can no longer take it any more.  At which point, only two options are available.  Spend about a thousand dollars to fly the family across the country for a milkshake at Bobby O's.  Or make one at home.  One of these is significantly cheaper than the other.  So we went with that.  I think I would have gotten along famously with President Bartlett.  If he wasn't, you know, a fictional character.

As a postscript, I would be remiss if I didn't provide a warning about this milkshake.  It is apparently not only appealing to humans, but to our four legged friends as well.  Our cat Rambo became a bit protective over ours. He attempted to claim them as his.  And  I have a report from my friend Jess that when she made it, one of her pups was smitten as well.  So you may have to share.

Ingredients
2 cups homemade vanilla ice cream
3 tablespoons ground pretzels (toss a few handfuls in a food processor and grind), plus more for serving
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk (we used 2% because that is what we had around)

Instructions
I put all the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer and use the paddle attachment to mix everything together.  Or throw in a blender.  Whatever works for you!  Crumble some pretzel on top as a garnish.


19 comments:

  1. Sweet and salty---what a beautiful combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... sweet and salty is my fave combo of all time. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look good! And sweet and salty together always work like a charm. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic shake, love the sweet and salty combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool combo!! This looks soooooo good!

    And I totally assume malteds are like milkshakes too...now I wonder...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. Much rather go out for malteds.

    This is so simple but so unique. Sweet and salty is always an awesome choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A pretzel milkshake inspired by comedic politics - wow :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I am so craving a milkshake right now. Milkshake menus are an American treasure. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, very intrigued by the pretzels in this and cannot wait to try!!Sounds absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salty and sweet together is a marriage made in heaven. I usually prefer to eat, rather than drink, my calories but I could be persuaded to make an exception here... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Anything in milkshake form must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really creative milkshake and I would love to taste it! Never seen Pretzels in drinks. Love this idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a lovely idea.....cant get better than this:) yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the West Wing! (I remember that scene.) :D Currently I'm huddled next to my space heater, but I'd still Love to have two of these milkshakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in total agreement. Malteds/milkshakes>>alcoholic beverages. Any day. This sweet/salty version sounds especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds so good. I'm not that keen on milkshake but with pretzels in I think I'll make an exception!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bobby-O's sounds dreamy! Heck with the cheesesteaks; I want a malted. This shake sounds ridiculously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fantastic idea! :) I bet these are super yummy. Next time I have some ice cream in the house, I'll make these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh great mix of salty and sweet! Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...