Thursday, January 10, 2013

Smoky Deviled Eggs


Deviled eggs sound both epic and silly all at once.  They conjure up the image of a creepy, horned, underworld creature-guy with a pointy tail - holding a pitchfork in one hand an egg in the other.  And a malicious grin on his face. Encased in a cloud of smoke.

And when there is news that deviled eggs are in the same room as you, it comes with just a smidge of disappointment when it is revealed to you that there is no devil.  Just eggs.

They may be eggs, but they are indeed a wonderful, wonderful thing.  Who am I kidding, I love eggs.  How brilliant of an idea was it to take out that creamy yolk, make it even more creamy, season it, then stuff it back into its cooked white shell?  Most definitely brilliant.

So even though deviled eggs will most likely not (I mean, never say never and all that) come with a supernatural evil creature, these particular ones do actually come with a bit of smoke.

I'm not gonna lie - we are kinda obsessed with smokiness.  When smoked paprika, coriander, and cumin come together something magical (perhaps devilish?), happens.  I'm not really sure what that is, but this alchemy makes things very fun and yummy to eat.  This isn't the first time you have seen these flavors here, and I guarantee it won't be the last.  We are much too smitten to turn our backs on these spices. We've recently taken to making these smoky deviled eggs.  We even made them for breakfast, feeling a random desire for stuffed eggs one morning.  And indulging in an unusual breakfast food made me feel a bit devilish, and I happily embraced my pitchfork and horns and pointy tail.

Ingredients
7 hard boiled eggs, peeled
4 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
Just a splash of liquid smoke
Just a splash of white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cumin
pinch ancho chile powder
1/8 teaspoon dijon mustard
paprika, for garnish
chopped chives, for garnish

Instructions
Halve the eggs, and remove the yolks, placing into a medium-sized bowl.  Add the mayonnaise, liquid smoke, vinegar, spices, and Dijon mustard.  Mix everything together with a fork, getting everything nice and smooth.  Using a small spoon, stuff the mixture back into the holes of the egg whites.  Sprinkle with paprika and chopped chives for garnish. Refrigerate until serving.


18 comments:

  1. I LOVE deviled eggs. A secret passion of mine. I love the smokey addition to it as well! Great photos on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in LOOOOOVE with deviled eggs. But we always so the same ol' thing. I can't wait to try these! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved deviled eggs because of their name (and because they're quite tasty). Yours look hedonistic and fabulous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know, I've never actually had deviled eggs. *shame* But these sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! Deviled Eggs is one of my favorite snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea...they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to update deviled eggs with smoked paprika! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first heard about deviled eggs, the name used to amuse me.And when I took my first bite...awww it was amazing. It has been my fav. Your look stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love deviled eggs and this looks Delish with the spices!!Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From now on that's probably how I'll envision deviled eggs haha. love this kicked up version! I can just imagine these smoky devils next to a big side of bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the smoked paprika twist to regular deviled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredibly classy and tasty appetiser :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't remember the last time I had deviled eggs. These smokey ones look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love eggs and I love smoked paprika. Haven't tried them together but...now I don't know why not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love boiled eggs (or should say any eggs) but especially deviled eggs! Never tried splash liquid smoke and this is a must next time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've actually never had deviled eggs...but with that smoky flavor I have no doubt I'd love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love deviled eggs and smoked paprika! I'm wishing I could pick a couple of these babies off the screen. Or, maybe I should just whip up a batch asap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a deviled egg fanatic! Seriously, any party where deviled eggs are available I have to make it a point to post myself FAR away from them to keep from eating them all! I'm with you on the smoked paprika - so many uses and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...