Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Egg Cups with Horseradish and Cheddar


I’m a big fan of the muffin pan.  It makes individual-sized cakes.  And individual-sized quick breads.  Individual-sized fun for everyone! And don’t even get me started on the virtues of the mini muffin pan.  There is something less intimidating about the muffin pan when compared to a regular cake pan or a loaf pan, etc., like you aren’t putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.  You have multiple opportunities, twelve to be exact, for obtaining success, which is actually not true at all.  I mean, the same batter goes in each little cup. But I like to pretend it’s true, and that’s what matters.  Because we are such fans, we wanted to use the muffin pan for something a little out of the ordinary, something savory, and something breakfasty (I’m standing by this as a word). So, here are our spicy bacon wrapped egg cups with horseradish and cheddar.

Ingredients
9 eggs
¼ cup milk
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
¾ teaspoon prepared horseradish
3 scallions, chopped
1/3 cup grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese + 1 tablespoon, divided
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, divided
1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
12 pieces bacon

Instructions
Heat oven to 375.  Grease a muffin tin.  In a bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Then stir in pepper, paprika, horseradish, scallions, 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan.  Add in jalapeno if using as well.  Line the outer wall of the muffin cups in the tin with bacon.  You may have to trim the bacon slices to fit.  Then pour in about ¼ cup of the egg mixture in each cup.  Sprinkle each with the remaining cheddar and parmesan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are browned, the bacon is crispy, and eggs are cooked through. 

42 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, I adore horseradish. I cannot even imagine how yummy these are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woe, these look fabulous! My sister and I were just discussing making these with fried eggs....but since I'm a scrambled egg fan, your version is much more appealing! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for using my muffin pan! Love the addition of the horseradish! Buzzed this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fear the cake pans. Muffin pans are much more diplomatic, so is stuff that wrapped in bacon. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like a mini frittata. I love the cheddar and horseradish combo. I never thought about that with egg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one breakfast sure to be fallen in love with - nice work on the creativity :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched Donna Hay make something similar about a a couple of years back and have been a fan of bacon cups since. Yours look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does look like a great breakfast! Lots of amazing flavors went into these little gems-yum! I will have to agree that the individual servings are so much nicer, so my muffin pan does get lots of use. Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okkkk... I NEED to make these. OMG YUM! I love everything about this recipe!! Bacon, cheddar, eggs, horseradish??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um...YES. This is phenomenal. I have seen these in magazines but never made them. Awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award because you two are awesome! Click here for more info :) I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I like the word "breakfasty." 2. These sound so good. I'm going to put these on the menu for this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used horseradish in eggs before ... very interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're like my bf's fav. blog. He always wants to eat everything you make! He gets all drooly and stuff :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why have I never thought to add horseradish to eggs??? This sounds yummy. Muffin pans really do make cute, easy servings that are easier to eat than a casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are such cute little bite sized breakfasts, Jenn! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool is that to add horseradish and jalapeno? I love these little muffins so easy to eat. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the heat in the dish to go along with the bacon. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm coming over for breaky. :-) These look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love horseradish! Theses sound yummy1

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, breakfasty is totally a word. And horseradish with all these other goodies? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, these sound amazing, but I am still sooo bacon-ed out after Baconfest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delicious creation! Might even get me out of bed early but I could eat them any time of the day including right this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm so maybe THAT is the reason why I love cupcakes so much more than cake! I have to get behind second, third, fourth, and well, twelfth chances. This sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely recipe and super cute too!!I love all the flavors going in here, craving for one right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh! We love egg cups and your delicious looking and tempting post reminds me I need to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore making egg muffins! And these are just jam-packed with flavor. Will be doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I'm totally with you. Muffin pan all the way. Anytime I have people over I always make dinners & desserts in them :) Love these - you had me when I read that bacon made the cup lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. Horseradish huh? How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks good! I just made some similar to this, yesterday for my kids lunch!
    Thank you for stopping by and for following! I'm glad to follow you right back. Awesome blog you have here!
    See you again and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my god, you know I'm going out first thing for these ingredients! These cups sound incredible, as would most things that are surrounded with bacon but I love the horseradish & cheddar (horseradish cheddar cheese is amaaazing, have you had it??) and the addition of the jalapeno to spice it up! Perfect! This is my kind of breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look so very tasty and tempting. Love mini individual serving too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look delicious. I know they'd be a big hit at our house!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anything with horseradish has to be good. I haven't tried that flavor with eggs though, but I know this would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've made something similar before but never with the addition of horseradish. I love what that will bring to this dish. I'll have to add that as well next time I make these. Very nice and lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree with Eliotseats - Anything with horseradish has to be good! Oh, and of course anything with bacon has to be good too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...