Sunday, April 8, 2012

Vegetable Fried Wontons


Since making our pork flower dumplings a couple weeks ago, those leftover wonton wrappers have just been calling out to us. “Please use me, for the love of god please use me!” could be heard every time we opened the refrigerator door.  These exclamations probably rang so clear because there they were, right there on the top shelf on the side of the fridge door.  Not hidden way in the back or in one of the drawers or lost under a pile of stuff.  Right there on the side of the door.  So, being that the refrigerator door is opened multiple times a day, we caved.  This time, we went veggie.  We minced up some sturdy vegetables like jicama, carrot, and celery, gave them a soak in a savory sauce, and then deep fried them to get a crunchy golden exterior.  The really neat thing is that they are more flavorful than almost any meat dumpling I’ve had!  Some cinnamon sprinkled on top adds a nice final touch and helps round out the sweet, savory inside with a bit of fragrant spice on the outside. 

Ingredients 
1 scallion, minced
¼ cup minced jicama
¼ cup minced carrot
¼ cup minced celery
2 teaspoons minced ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
½ teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon rice wine
2 tablespoons chicken broth
16-20 wonton wrappers
canola oil, for frying
pinch of cinnamon
sweet and sour sauce, for serving

Instructions
Place the scallions, jicama, carrot, celery, ginger, and garlic in a medium-sized bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, rice wine, and chicken broth.  Pour the liquids over the vegetables.  Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes.  Take a wonton wrapper and place in the palm of your hand.  Place ½ tablespoon of the mixture in the middle.  Dab water around two adjacent sides of the wrapper, then bring up the other two sides of the wrapper to form a triangle.  Place canola oil in small pot and heat to 325-350 degrees.  Fry 4-5 wontons at a time until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.  Place on paper towels and then fry another batch.  Sprinkle cinnamon on the wontons, and then serve with sweet and sour sauce.

37 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, these look incredible! I love, love wontons...and your filling sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those top-shelf refrigerator dwellers are such drama queens.

    Your wontons look crispy, golden, and perfect! (Great idea to add the cinnamon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I place an order for 50? :) Love the Jicama!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy recipe! I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love wontons, these look delicious and those veggies inside sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish! My fav part of this is the jicama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!! Good for you for using them up - I always find myself ignoring their cries ;-) I agree with Tiffany; my favorite part is the jicama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fried wontons with filling are very addictive! I have never used just a veggie filling like this, but it is well worth a try! Delicious appetizer-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn, oooh I missed fried dumplings. I need to see if I can track down some good gluten-free wonton wrappers.
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't these sound yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. My sister lives close to you and always loves it when she spends the day at Dana Point. I hear it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Yeah, we think it is pretty beautiful here :)

      Delete
  11. Yummy! We love cheese wontons and these sound so much healthier!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love deep fried wontons whatever the filling is...

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so great! My bf would def. die of happiness if I made him these :P I also have some leftover wonton wrappers (from chicken parm. wraps I made) and I prob. should use them, they've been in the freezer for awhile...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I was pretty shocked and excited when Jenn said she was making these! She is generally not one to deep fry.

      Delete
  14. These wontons will be gone very quickly if they are left on our dinner table unattended :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great, guys! I love fried food but only do it very occasionally, and these are so perfect! Is the jicama easy to find where you are? I haven't cooked with it in 2 decades, not since I left Singapore! Not seen it here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unused ingredients in the fridge usually give up calling out to me, they just frown sternly when I open and guilt me into using them. :) These look YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love wontons and these match perfectly with this great looking sauce! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't made wontons in forever! But they sound so good right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My wife has been requesting a new style of wonton...we seem to be in a rut. LOL!

    Thanks for the amazing recipe! Now maybe I can get her off of my back! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea to use veggies and the wonton wrappers!!Makes for a great appetizer too!!!I bet they were delicious and crispy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love wontons. Whether they are steamed or fried I find them addictive. Seriously, I can eat a lot of them. These look awesome. I would love to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your veggie filling sounds delicious! I can't resist these crunchy deep-fried beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh wow these look fab, he he and love the way you write fun

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look great. I love wontons but have never tried to make them. Like the idea of the cinnamon on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the sound of the filling for these babies! And cinnamon on the outside...these are begging me to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am loving these wontons. I usually bake mine, but I can see what I'm missing - damn these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the pinch of cinnamon. I would never have thought to do that, but I'll bet it tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those look amazing. I'm a huge fan of wontons and the touch of cinnamon is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oooh these look perfectly crispy- this is one of my favorite appetizers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These wontons look perfectly yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are perfect. Now I want to fry some up myself. Thanks for the awesome post.

    Marlene
    Info site for Ipe Decking information

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...