Thursday, April 26, 2012

Glazed Chocolate Chip Scones with Rosemary and Cara Cara Orange


Scones make me happy.  I’m not sure why.  Or maybe I do know why, but it actually doesn’t make sense.  Maybe it is because they are associated with tea; which, again, is kind of strange because I drink more coffee.  I drink tea when I’m sick or on random chilly nights.  But tea also makes me think of growing up.  In both my mom’s house and my gram’s house, tea facilitated talking.  There was nothing that couldn’t be made all better with a talk, a kitchen table, and a pot of tea (usually accompanied by some sweet treat).  So, despite the associations of tea with being sick, tea makes me happy.  And therefore, scones make me happy.  Scones are also just these super fun biscuits that you can stuff with all sorts of flavors.  Here, we went with rosemary, fresh Cara Cara orange, and semisweet chocolate chips.  So go ahead and bake up a few of these, pour yourself a warm cup of tea, pull up a seat at the kitchen table, and be happy.

Ingredients
For the scones:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
pinch of kosher salt
½ teaspoon orange zest from a Cara Cara orange
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
5 tablespoons butter, cut into tiny pieces
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh juice from a Cara Cara orange
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon milk

Instructions
Heat oven to 375.  In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, orange zest, and rosemary together.  Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture.  Work the butter into it until the mixture looks like coarse crumble.  Stir in cream and orange juice until dough forms.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Divide dough into equal size pieces (I got 8 large scones), and drop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.  Or you can be fancier and roll the dough into a 1-inch thick circle and cut the dough like a pizza.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.  In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, orange juice, and milk.  Let the scones cool for just a bit, then brush on orange glaze.

40 comments:

  1. Oooh oranges and chocolate!!Perfect combination :)These look so so delicious and soft!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to enhance a plain ol' scone!!! And they're beautiful to boot! Great job, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I always associate scones with tea too, even though I'm more of a coffee drinker...I think just the "proper" image of tea and scones makes me smile. And I love anything sweet with rosemary. Perfect combo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oranges and chocolate are a great combo and I like that you added rosemary as another note of flavor. Flavorful scones are always welcome at our house, I like them better with lots of flavor instead of having to put some type of spread on them. Delicious creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom was a huge tea drinker too, and now for me drinking it is like a calming ritual that reminds me of my childhood. And scones never hurt either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those scones are perfect! I love all the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jenn, these sound amazing. Rosemary, orange, chocolate- Yum! Seriously, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - now that's an interesting combination of flavors! I'd love to try one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good. I love cara cara oranges - I love hte idea of combining rosemary with chocolate. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate and rosemary is a fabulous flavor combination, and the scent of orange is a great finisher. These are seriously yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate and rosemary is a combo I've not yet tried! Thanks for the suggestion! I love trying new flavour combinations. These scones looks amazing.

    I have fond memories of drinking tea with my grandma - so I always find tea & scones to be very comforting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary and chocolate!? I must try these!
    And I agree with your tea assessment, there is something very soothing about a hot cup of lemony tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scones make me happy too :) Yours look like a real treat! Love the flavors combo - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the thought of a wonderfully baked scone with a hot cup of tea at 4 in the afternoon. Mmmm...chocolate..rosemary...orange? Sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like scones too ;) And this is such a cool and creative use of flavors, I'm super curious to try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love chocolate and orange together, the rosemary is such an interesting addition. Can't wait to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is getting ridiculous now. Every time I come by your site you have something far too tempting to try. These sound so good, a nice change from plain scones. I have to say I accidentally tried rosemary and chocolate together and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the combination of citrus with chocolate. These will be great with anything - tea, coffee, smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made scones but after seeing these I may have to give it a try. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the ingredients you've used to make these scones. They would be perfect with a cup of tea. I've bookmarked your recipe to try this weekend. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what unique ingredients that sounds absolutely fantastic together! I love scones too...not sure why, something about breakfast and a scone making me happy haha. This is a great recipe, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lov scones,looks fab with yummy glaze..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those cara cara oranges are so good. I love scones, too... something so comforting about them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am with you on loving scones, althought my love comes from devouring anything sweet and delicious! ha! These scones look like no exception and very yummy! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scones make me happy too, well almost every dessert makes me happy :) this look very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The flavor combo you used is so unique and delicious sounding! I'll put the tea on if you bring the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm intrigued by the use of rosemary, I've never used it in a sweet recipe! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really don't eat or make enough scones, that's for sure! This is such an interesting flavor combo...chocolate, orange and rosemary. Unique, but also delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never made scones but I definitiely like the combination of flavors and the rosemary is an interesting added twist. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the combination of flavors! I have the same type of memories from a cup of tea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What delicious scones these must be...the addition of rosemary sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a delightful flavour, rosemary and oranges! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your scones are beautiful and who could resist with these luscious ingredients. You had me at chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love scones! :) appealed by the presentation of the homebaked chocokate chips scones here

    Latest: Of Latest Hit: Sesame Ramen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely scones. I'm hooked on cara cara oranges. I love their color and they're always nice and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh what an interesting mix! Chocolate, orange and rosemary? Love. I really have to get in on some scones, I love their texture (and flavor)!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love scones. I used to eat them every week when I was a child. I'd lke to cook them. Even tomorrow. Even now.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love everything with chocolates!! Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
    Cheers :)

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Top Austin Towing service

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...