Sunday, November 25, 2012

Easy Mushroom Stir-fry with Chinese 5-Spice


I think I am reaching a point at which I no longer understand what qualifies as typical breakfast food.  There was a time in my life when I was very regimented in my thinking.  Bagels, muffins, cereal, eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes - those were breakfast foods.  Then college came and I was taught the wonders of pizza for breakfast.  Sometimes you feel like pizza for breakfast!  And also the joys of leftover Chinese food were revealed to me as delicious morning fare.  And from there, chaos ensued.  So while I originally intended this as a quick lunch or dinner, it became breakfast.  An umami, Chinese 5-spiced breakfast.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
pinch white pepper
kosher salt, to taste
3 scallions, chopped
toasted sesame oil, for serving
rice, for serving

Instructions
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Once the butter has melted and the bubbles in the mixture have started to subside, add the chopped mushrooms. Stir continuously, allowing the mushrooms to absorb the butter and oil mixture. After a few minutes, the mushrooms will brown.  I actually did this step in two batches, as I didn't want to crowd the pan.  Once all the mushrooms have been browned, return to pan and deglaze the pan with rice wine (Pour the rice wine in and loosen up all the tasty stuff stuck to the pan.  The rice wine should cook down very quickly).  Mix in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and 5-spice powder.  Sprinkle with white pepper and kosher salt to taste.  Scatter the chopped scallions on top.  Serve with rice and toasted sesame oil.

22 comments:

  1. I've recently come around to Chinese food for breakfast as well. And, I'm glad I finally did! This dish sounds great for any time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have this on daily basis. It looks homey and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 5-spice yet never thought to sautee it with mushrooms---great idea that I'll be sure to try out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rice is my BFF. I'd eat this all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just perfect for me. I don't like breakfast food so always eat whatever may be left over from dinner, LOL. Lft over pasta is especially good. This is a great recipe, I am going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum, this looks delicious! We do eat rice for breakfast here, "nasi lemak" one of a very Malaysian style of having a satisfying and delicious breakfast! So I would gladly have this for breakfast as well, I absolutely adore mushrooms! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely and it sounds delicious too! I love mushrooms but have never used them like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful stir fry recipe :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can eat anything for breakfast. I personally, like pizza and leftover soup. But this recipe would work great as well. I love 5 spice powder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mushrooms! My daughter will love this easy stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yeah...perfect for breakfast!!! I heartily approve :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These mushrooms look gorgeous, Jenn! I'm crazy for savoury, non-traditional breakfasts too. They sort of have the effect of tricking my brain into thinking it's midday and waking me up a bit more speedily...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty picture! Love this dish - the mushrooms look sooo delish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything goes when it comes to breakfast! There's no right or wrong :) This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say anything goes when it comes to breakfast! This looks like the perfect way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love mushrooms cooked in Western or Asian way. This is very easy to make and I always love oyster + soy sauce combo. :) Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love mushrooms! Especially with rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the smell of sauteed mushrooms! Easy Chinese dish for breakfast - I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooo, yum! I love mushrooms; this stir fry looks wonderful. My grandmother eats cottage cheese and tomatoes every morning for breakfast. To each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simple but awesome. I'm a mushroom fanatic so I'm all over this :) I'd love it as is or especially with some garlic fried rice to play off the warm flavors from the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s great pleasure to get the chance to comment…Everything looks extremely nice unique and professional. I think Personal chefs are dependable for control all the menu organization, cooking etc

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...