Friday, November 9, 2012

Virtual Book Launch Party for An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair

We usually don't post on a Friday, but today is a special day.  We are participating in a virtual book launch party!  An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair by the absolutely amazing Faith Gorsky comes out today, and we are so excited to (FINALLY) be able to get a hold of this book from one of our favorite bloggers.  Her book has over 100 Middle Eastern recipes, with a focus mainly on dishes from the Levant, but also a few recipes from other areas of the Middle East.  Her recipes are authentic Middle Eastern, but streamlined for today's cooking with an emphasis on demystifying techniques and ingredients that can be difficult for most of us to master.  The book is available to order on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  So you definitely want to get a copy of this - doesn't this sound like such a valuable addition to the cookbook collection?  I totally think so.



Faith is letting us share a recipe from her book today - Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts.  Such a gorgeous and delicious dish!  This recipe is actually vegan, so it is perfect for incorporating into a vegan or vegetarian meal, but it is also wonderful served with chicken, beef, lamb, or seafood.  Faith recommends pairing the rice with her Shrimp in Aromatic Tomato Sauce.

After you check out the recipe below, please head over to Faith's blog to check out her virtual book launch party to see the other bloggers who are participating.  Also, as part of her virtual book launch, Faith is hosting a giveaway of a fabulous set of prizes.  Be sure to head over and enter!


Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts




ROZ MLOW’WAN

Recipe courtesy of An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair by Faith Gorsky
(Tuttle Publishing; Nov. 2012); reprinted with permission.

Serves 4 to 6
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes, plus 15 minutes to let the rice sit after cooking

1½ cups (325 g) basmati rice, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1 onion, finely diced
4 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins)
1¾ cups (425 ml) boiling water
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon saffron threads (or ½ teaspoon turmeric)

1. Soak the rice in tepid water for 10 minutes; drain. While the rice is soaking, put half a
kettle of water on to boil.
2. Add the oil to a medium, thick-bottomed lidded saucepan over medium heat. Add
the pine nuts and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Add the onion to the saucepan you cooked the pine nuts in, and cook until softened and
just starting to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook
2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the sultanas, boiling water, salt, and saffron (or
turmeric), turn the heat up to high, and bring it to a rolling boil.
4. Give the rice a stir, then cover the saucepan, turn the heat down to very low, and cook
until tender, about 10 minutes (do not open the lid during this time). Turn the heat off
and let the rice sit (covered) 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top; serve.

OPTIONAL Add two pods of cardamom, two whole cloves, and one 2-inch (5 cm) piece of
cinnamon stick at the same time that you add the rice.

17 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm new to your site and am happy to see you agreed to be a part of Faith's cookbook launch party! Love your site and now that I've found you, I'll be stopping by to see your delicious creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that rice looks fantastic and that book is so pretty! Definitely a good one for the very vast cookbook collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! This is the forth mention of An Edible Mosaic that I've seen today...taking it as a delicious sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love middle eastern food! It's awesome. I especially love rice dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to be finding all these new blogs through Faith's book launch! I'll be stopping by more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just moving from Cairo to Dubai and I love Middle Eastern food! (Good thing, huh?) This sounds like the perfect cookbook for me. Your rice came out beautifully! Such a pretty fabric under the platter too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't thank you enough for being part of my virtual book launch party! You two are wonderful...thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this rice whenever I see it :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I loved this rice! I can't wait to get Faiths book too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried it and it was very delicious, especially with curry. i'm really glad that I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun event!!!! I love Faith and her blog!!! The recipe and the book sound amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun book launch party! And that rice is just amazing. I could serve that as a side to almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am an "expert Rice Maker" probably because I am a Mexican... "it just comes natural" LOL! ... so, this rice, looks like something I MUST make! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy for Faith! I'll definitely have to get a copy of this cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious! I can see that An Edible Mosaic is one fantastic book! Am going over to Faith's! Thank you for sharing, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From all the folks posting their version of this recipe, I just have to have this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a wonderful book, I've been a Middle Eastern cuisine fan for years and love to explore different takes on cuisine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...