Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thick and Creamy, Earl Grey and Lavender Hot Chocolate


Around this time of year, we become a bit introspective, reflecting on those things for which we are grateful.  I've got to say, I'm so grateful that chocolate exists.  I mean, what else is there in our cupboards, ready on standby to be deployed into whatever goodies we feel like whipping up?  Chocolate chip cookies, brownies,  mousses, ice cream, the list is endless.  What else goes with so perfectly well with so many different fruits (and vegetables - I'm looking at you zucchini!).  When there seems to be a dearth of produce to turn into dessert, who is always there?  Chocolate of course!

As Americans, we are looking to Thanksgiving and thinking of turning harvest foods like squash, apples,  pears and brussels sprouts and such into delicious feast food, I wanted to make sure chocolate still felt included in all the festivities.

Using half and half and the chocolate chips made this into a wonderfully thick and creamy hot chocolate, not quite pudding, but almost!  And it was ever so gloriously luxuriant, an edible tribute to our good friend chocolate.

Ingredients
2 cups half and half (or whole milk)
6 ounces good quality semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate bar
pinch vanilla salt
2 teabags earl grey tea
1 tablespoon of lavender buds in a teabag (or just strain the lavender before serving)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
Place half and half, chocolate chips, vanilla salt, earl grey teabags, and the lavender tea bag in a small pot over medium-low heat.  Stir continuously, melting the chocolate into the milk. Once the mixture is nice and hot, and the chocolate is melted, stir in vanilla extract and remove the teabags.

22 comments:

  1. Hot chocolate that requires a spoon?! Um, yes please!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earl grey, vanilla and lavender flavoured hot chocolate!?! Amazingly creative and it looks insanely rich and creamy. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omigaaawwwwwwd that looks so chocolatey and amazingggg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being the opposite from everyone else in the world, we never have much harvesting or Thanksgiving at this time of the year... :( I would love to appreciate fall in Nov and Christmas in snowy and chilly Dec...

    This hot chocolate seems perfect for the chilly season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, what an interesting cup of tea. :) Makes my mouth water to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tea flavoured hot chocolate...wow..that sounds just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooooo decadent! I watched Chocolat on the plane a few weeks ago. This totally makes me think of that movie! ... and Johnny Depp! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, all I saw in my feed was "Earl Grey" and "Hot" and my mind immediately went to Star Trek references. I think Captain Picard would approve this dessert. XD

    And so would I. I love tea and chocolate. I thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been referencing that all week, but Jenn doesn't understand...

      Delete
  10. Interesting! It looks so creamy and good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, tea and chocolate! Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicious flavour combo, I want!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow,very interesting flavors going on!I love Earl Grey tea and the addition of lavender sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so amazingly thick and luscious. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tea and lavender sound so good with the chocolate! This would be great with some churros for dunking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, this is totally my type of hot chocolate, nice and thick! So much so you need a spoon to enjoy it! Second, the tea and lavender are so interesting, I bet they really complement the dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This thick hot chocolate is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks sublime! So warm and comforting especially on a cold fall day. Just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a creative combo. I love it, and I love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool! :) Love the use of tea in this! A really different, but delicious combination of flavours. I love all of your unique recipes. Very inspiring! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love earl grey and this looks wonderful! Never would have thought to mix them together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...